Shirt Making for Curves
Step-by-step lessons to help you sew the perfectly fitting shirt of your dreams!
- Do you dream of wearing a shirt that fits all your curves?
- Do you get frustrated trying to adjust shirt patterns so they won't gape or tent at the bust?
- Do you want to try your hand at sewing your first shirt, or want to improve your techniques, but would love a friendly teacher to give you a helping hand?
Then this is the course for you! Join me in sewing your beautifully fitted button-down shirt, tailored for curves.
Welcome to Shirt Making for Curves! In this course, you’ll learn the fundamentals of shirt making in order to end up with a professional looking, well-fitting shirt. Button-down shirts are a classic wardrobe staple but are notoriously tricky to fit at the bust. That's why the Cashmerette Harrison Shirt has been designed with curves in mind, with cup sizes from C to H - and this course will take you step-by-step through the shirt-making process so you will have a beautifully sewn shirt that fits!
Included with the course is a free* copy of the Cashmerette Patterns Harrison Shirt pattern (choose from a downloadable PDF or a paper version that will be mailed to you). Already got the Harrison? No problem! You can use your coupon for any other Cashmerette pattern.
The Harrison Shirt is designed with double princess seams for a uniquely curve-friendly fit, which won't gape or be tent-like over your bust. It features all the elements of a classic shirt, including a two-piece collar, yoke, and placket, separate button bands, and buttoned cuffs. This pattern looks equally pretty in crisp Oxford cottons at the office or cozy flannels for playing in the snow.
I hope you'll join me in this shirt making adventure!
*Shipping charge applies for paper pattern.
Sewing lessons whenever and wherever you want.
Unlike regular classes, there's no need to block off time in your schedule or arrange to travel - you can watch the videos on your laptop, tablet or phone, and master shirt-making from the comfort of home. Learn at your own pace, and re-watch the videos as many times as you like - they never expire! Plus, you'll have 24/7 access, and it's the fraction of the price of an in-person class.
Get additional help
Do you have questions about the lessons? Just ask in the comments section, and you'll get personal feedback.
A sampling of techniques you’ll learn in this course:
- How to choose the perfect fabric for the type of shirt you want
- My favourite tools for a professional finish
- Sewing a shirt using just a sewing machine or together with a serger
- How to sew a smooth princess seams without wrinkles or tucks
- Sewing a button band with a clean finish at the hem
- How to create a completely clean yoke using the "burrito" method
- A collar construction method that leaves you with fantastic sharp points
- And many more tips and techniques that go beyond the instruction booklet!
"I just have to say how much I've thoroughly enjoyed this whole experience - from the pattern (which fits me so well!) to the class, to making my own shirts and Harrison dress. I can't seem to get enough of them! This has become my first true Tried 'n' True pattern and course."
Hi! I'm Jenny Rushmore, the blogger, sewing pattern designer and teacher behind Cashmerette. Learning to sew transformed my body image, and my life's passion is helping other curvy women find their body confidence, too. I work with professional pattern-makers to create fashion-forward designs in sizes 0 - 32, and bust sizes C - H, and teach women how to get a fantastic fit in their self-made garments. I believe that your dress size doesn't limit you creativity, so why should it limit your wardrobe? If you want to learn more, check out my blog at Cashmerette.