Fitting for Curves
Pattern Adjustments for the Upper Body
Learning to sew your own clothes when you're curvy is incredibly fulfilling and fun.
But the real gamechanger?
Mastering fantastic fit!
- Do you wish you could sew clothes that fit you wonderfully?
- Do you get frustrated when sewing patterns don't fit you "out of the packet"?
- Are you bigger than a C cup but have always been intimidated by the infamous "Full Bust Adjustment"?
- Do you want to learn a range of pattern adjustments for curves, step-by-step with videos and an eBook?
Then this is a course made for you! Join me as I take you through 16 common upper body pattern alterations for curves and demystify fitting once and for all.
Welcome to Fitting for Curves: Pattern Adjustments for the Upper Body!
It's so frustrating to shop for clothes when you've got a curvy figure; not only are there very limited options, but they rarely fit well. Sewing is an amazing way to make and wear whatever your heart desires, in your size! But it's not always that easy; sewing patterns come in a limited number of sizes and, of course, we all have differently shaped bodies.
The secret? Learning how to adjust your patterns.
In this workshop, you'll learn how to do pattern alterations for a curvy body, which is much easier than you might imagine! I take you step-by-step through how to figure out which alterations you need, measure your muslin for adjustments, and then how to alter your pattern pieces.
There are two parts to the course to help you deeply understand the techniques, whatever your learning style:
- 21 clear and easy-to-follow videos that cover the basics of how to measure yourself, pick a pattern size to start from, and make a muslin and then dive into sixteen common pattern adjustments to address fitting the bust, neck, shoulders, back and arms, including four types of Full Bust Adjustments.
- A downloadable eBook accompanies the videos, giving step-by-step illustrated instructions, which you can use to follow along and refer to at any time.
By the end of the course, you'll feel confident in diagnosing fit issues in the upper body and know how to fix them. Get ready for a wardrobe of garments that fit well and make you feel wonderful!
Sewing lessons whenever and wherever you want.
Unlike regular classes, there's no need to block off time in your schedule or arrange to travel - you can watch the videos on your laptop, tablet, or phone, and master pattern alterations from the comfort of home. Learn at your own pace, and re-watch the videos as many times as you like - they never expire! Plus, you'll have 24/7 access, and it's a fraction of the price of an in-person class.
Get additional help
Do you have questions about the lessons? Just ask in the comments section and you'll get personal feedback.
"Just finished watching the course. It was brilliant - clear instructions and easy to follow. I have been unsuccessful making garments from the Big 4 patterns due to my curves. I had numerous AHA moments whilst watching and now know where I was going wrong..... A really great resource!"
"This was an excellent class! So glad that I signed up. It is much easier for me to learn by watching how things are done. Thanks. This will make my pattern adjustments much easier for me to do."
A sampling of techniques you'll learn in this course:
- How to measure yourself to make sure your garment will fit
- How to choose a pattern size to start from
- How to make a muslin
- Four types of Full Bust Adjustment, with many variations!
- How to get a smooth bust fit by raising, lowering, splitting, or rotating darts
- How to prevent the dreaded gaping armholes and necklines
- How to adjust shoulder width and position to fit your frame
- How to fix fabric pooling caused by a hollow chest
- Four approaches to back fitting, including sway back adjustments on patterns with and without a center back seam
- How to make your sleeves more comfortable with a full bicep adjustment
Hi! I'm Jenny Rushmore, the blogger, sewing pattern designer and teacher behind Cashmerette. Learning to sew transformed my body image, and my life's passion is helping other curvy women find their body confidence, too. I work with professional pattern-makers to create fashion-forward designs in sizes 12 - 28/32, and bust sizes C - H, and teach women how to get a fantastic fit in their self-made garments. I believe that your dress size doesn't limit you creativity, so why should it limit your wardrobe? If you want to learn more, check out my blog at Cashmerette.
"I love how you have the videos organized. You can go back and look at the segment that you need. You have a strong and commanding video presence. Instruction is straight to the point. Excellent work!"
-- Mary in AZ
StartIntroduction to Full Bust Adjustments (6:25)
StartFull Bust Adjustment: 2 Dart and 1 Dart Bodice (8:03)
StartFull Bust Adjustment: Dartless Bodice (7:06)
StartFull Bust Adjustment: Princess Seamed Bodice (10:24)
StartFull Bust Adjustment: Knit Bodice (4:08)
StartRaise or Lower Darts (2:13)
StartSplit and Rotate Darts (3:38)